Sunday, January 16, 2011

Buck Rogers and lucid dreaming

 
Added a poem on lucid dreaming, eros and Buck Rogers at poems.aule-browser.com entitled "1958, 1963, 1970" which three dates break down as roughly
 -- last recalled night-terrors before relegation to a basement room
 -- the peak of my "Buck Rogers" recall and my sci-fi reading years
 -- first weekend dates at the movies and the end of reading sci-fi

Obscured in those dates are the fall 1967 to summer 1971 misadventures in the CDN DND Militia and alcohol.  Oh vey.
The fire, Dec 1964. The death of my grandmother, May 1969.  The highway accident, May 1970. The end of trumpet but a return to the stage.  Some of my mother's most violent breakdowns. Two girls walked home, spring 1969, spring 1971.

The horse mower of the heron poem is summer 1971.  No mention of poultry barns or ice cream.  By fall 1967 (?)  Howard Harder and his family were dead; by fall 1971, Glenn Saunderson was dead and Paul Hodgson when - that spring?  My younger brother, Jeff, with whom I shared that room, died a few years ago.
The bully in one town was always replaced by another in the next.  That was a constant, as much as my mother's deterioration.

All of these strain on the lines, constrain the effort to distill a poem that explorers my lack of recall of a female form in "Buck Rogers" in spite of my uninterrupted interest in girls for as long as I have recall to the years before school and further back than most would countenance as even possible, let alone believable.  Such a memory has been a burden and worse - a plague - for my mother in her troubled life and even now, in her faltering last days or weeks or months.  In me, memory impairs the need and the imperative to forgive and, if you cannot forgive, forget.

"1958, 1963, 1970" read without comment at Molly's in Fredericton today when the fred-ezone let me down again, failing to grant me an IP to access my own pages to read more settled, revised work, at an open-mike.

No poems were read in French, but two were read in Spanish and then in English by Nela Rio, a terrific surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thought below: